Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Solar Cooking

We recently became the happy owners of two solar cookers.  I had never heard of a solar cooker before but was excited to give it a try.  I figure if we can cook even a couple of meals a week in the solar cooker it is that much more propane and electricity we have saved.

Our first attempt at using it was unsuccessful.  We put a pot of chili in to cook but before too long the sky became cloudy and we had to finish cooking supper on the stove.  Our next attempt was mostly positive.  We put a peach cake in to bake but I underestimated the time needed and it got too late before it was finished.  But it only took 10 minutes in the oven to bring it to perfection.
Our third attempt was also unsuccessful. I think part of the problem is the type of pot we are using.  We'll try to have a positive report next time! :-)
The cake we almost finished baking in the solar cooker.

1 comment:

Betsy said...

keep trying. my Uncle loves his solar cooker