Saturday, November 8, 2008

Thatched Roof




The two pictures are good examples of the thatched roofs we see here in South Africa and Lesotho. The first picture I took a couple of weeks ago before my camera locked up. It is a picture of a house here in Ladybrand. These type of roofs are fashionable and normally used by the wealthy. You can see in the first picture that someone is up on the roof. He is replacing the top layer. That has to be done after a few years because of deterioration due to the weather.


The second picture I received from someone else. It was taken, I believe, in Lesotho. These types of houses are very common especially in rural areas.



2 comments:

Beth Stetler said...

Very interesting! I enjoy learning about other cultures and places.

Pecks Place said...

Those are very neat pictures. I enjoy seeing them.