Wednesday, July 15, 2009

God's Breath (Job 33:4)

I would like to share the words of a song with you that should be every Christian's prayer. In the verse I listed above Job says that God had given him life. He was probably referring to physical life, but we know that God is also the source of our spiritual life. In the Word of God we find all the answers we need for life (physical) and Godly living (spiritual) II Peter 1:3.
Breath on me, breath of God,
Fill me with life anew,
That I may love what Thou dost love,
And do what Thou wouldst do.
Breath on me, breath of God,
Until my heart is pure,
Until with Thee I will one will,
To do and to endure.
Breath on me, breath of God,
Till I am wholly Thine,
Till all this earthly part of me
Glows with Thy fire divine.
Breathe on me, breath of God,
So shall I never die,
But live with Thee the perfect life
Of Thine eternity.
-Edwin Hatch, 1835-1889
Many who are reared in religious circles, grow up in a lifestyle, but have no reality. But there is nothing more REAL than a relationship with God. I trust all who read this will know that reality!

1 comment:

robert said...

Hi Steve and Gwen. Nice to meet you and your lovely family. (Great pictures of the boys!)

Thanks for posting Edwin Hatch's fine hymn, "Breathe on Me, Breath of God." Your blog caught my eye because today is the 174th anniversary of Hatch's birth. I've given a bit of information about him on my daily blog, Wordwise Hymns. Since your profile suggests you are fellow-hymn-lovers, I encourage you to drop by. Something new relative to hymn history each day of the year.

I served as a pastor for 40 years (now retired), and my son and his wife are missionaries serving in Mexico. Lord willing, they will begin a new church plant there, this fall. Great to meet others who are serving the Lord. God bless you all.